Monday, April 5, 2010

Uplifting Conference

Life gets so crazy sometimes. Crazy enough that we forget to take care of ourselves every now and then. I missed both of Saturday's General Conference sessions, and Sunday morning I was determined to get some Conference in. I am so glad I did that. Sunday morning's session was FABULOUS! It was filled with messages of love and hope and forgiveness. It was calming for me to sit and listen while Lexi napped and Zack watched a movie on the computer. It's also nice to have a DVR so that I can pause when I need to to take care of the kids. What a wonderful invention! I can take care of my kids and still catch everything!

My favorite talk of the session was President Uchtdorf's talk. I adore him! His messages are always so uplifting. Yesterday he spoke of Love and showing love, compassion and understanding to all around us. This is a subject that I have felt strongly about and has weighed heavily on my mind for quite some time. I enjoyed his talk so much that I don't want to wait for the Ensign to come out next month to enjoy it again, so I got online this morning and listened to it all over again. A few of my favorite quotes:
"I hope that we welcome and love all of God's children. Including those who might dress, look, speak or just do things differently."
"It is not good to make others feel as though they are deficient."
"I am not suggesting that we accept sin or overlook evil in our personal life or the world. Nevertheless, in our zeal we sometimes confuse sin with sinner, and condemn too quickly and with too little compassion."
"We cannot gauge the worth of another soul anymore than we can measure the span of the Universe."
"Everyone is walking his or her own difficult path."
"It is unworthy of us as Christians to think that those who suffer deserve their suffering."
"Let us love at all times. Let us especially be there for our brothers and sisters in their time of adversity."

I have always felt that we need to love and support everyone, even when we disagree with their beliefs or actions. I love to listen to an Apostle of our Lord confirm that Love is the only effective way to communicate across all differences, and that we do need to distinguish between the sinner and the sin. Too much of society in general wants to condemn those that don't agree with their own values, beliefs and opinions. And it is so prevalent on the internet, where people feel so safe in their anonymity. I'm tired of those who say if you can't take the insults, or if you find offense in a statement, then you need to stay off the internet. Just because things are done a certain way, and have been for some time, doesn't mean that it is right, or that it needs to stay that way.
I feel that we need to take this talk from President Uchtdorf and live the principles he set forth. Let's be positive influences to those around us. Make a change in how you see and treat people, and we can make a difference in how others see and treat us. A little kindness and respect can go a looooong way!

1 comment:

taraandhowie said...

I heard that talk and thought it was great, but it's always interesting to me that hearing anothers perspective of them makes me love them that much more. Thanks for sharing!