Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Keeping Us on the Straight and Narrow

Ah, the innocence of kids! Zack amazes me sometimes with the things he retains. And sometimes it can be a great reminder for us.
When I started getting to work by 7 a.m. a few months ago, Aaron and I decided to do our own prayer together in the mornings rather than wake up the kids that early (Ok, we tried it once, and realized it doesn't work...). A couple of weeks ago Zack woke up and came out of his room while we were praying. He stood in the hall just looking at us until we finished our prayer. The second "Amen" was said, he flipped. "I wanna have family prayer!" He was sooooo distraught that we prayed without him. It was a wonderful chance to tell him that we can pray as many times as we need to. It was an easy fix, just say another prayer. Unfortunately, his screaming and crying woke up Lexi too, and she woke up crying. So we had to divide and conquer.
This morning we had to have a second prayer as well. No screaming fit, but he was pretty upset that I almost left without having a prayer with him.
There are a few times on the weekends when Zack will come in and wake Aaron and I up to tell us that it's time for family prayer. I love this! It's good to have reminders every now and then that at least I'm doing something right. And it's good to have a reminder to take care of business before going about my day.

No comments: