Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Family Home Evenings

This year we were very excited for Easter. Zack is finally catching on to traditions, and holidays are so much fun because of it. I am really getting into it too, this is one of the fun parts of having kids! I got my new Easter baskets done, and they look so pretty! I went to Michaels and bought some matching baskets for all of us. Then I bought some springy ribbon, one for each of us. The boys got the ribbon around the basket and the handle, and the girls have a bow as well as the wrapping. I am so proud of them. While I was getting into the traditions of the Easter Bunny, Aaron reminded me about the importance of Easter and that he wanted to focus on the real reason we celebrate; the resurrection of Christ. Later that week I was talking to Britta about how excited I was for this Easter, and about the conversation Aaron and I had about the reason for Easter. She told me about her tradition with her kids, she does her baskets on Saturday, so they can focus on Christ on Sunday. I love this idea, so naturally I'm stealing it.

As part of our focus, we made sure our family home evening was about the resurrection. I put together a lesson about how Christ died and was buried in a tomb, then he came back to life. I cut out a tomb, a stone and a picture of Christ for us to color, and showed him how Christ was laid in the tomb, the stone was rolled in front and three days later, he came out resurrected. I hope he caught on to the concept, but it's hard to tell. It was exciting to see his face as he was learning new things. He will now answer the question "Why do we celebrate Easter?" with "Jesus was resurrected!". It's times like these that I love the most about spending time with my family!

No comments: